Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Diet, Exercise, and Supplements › Supplements and Vitamins › Reply To: Supplements and Vitamins
-
Community Member
MemberI take a wide range of supplements daily. I also take various medications for my MG (prednisone and mestinon) as well as for other health conditions (e.g. statin, blood pressure medication, medication for my enlarged prostate, etc.). I stopped taking magnesium when I learend it might further weaken the muscles affected by MG. Based on what I am reading I will be adding calcium to my daily supplements. I am 81 and was preliminarily diagnosed with MG a year ago. Couldn’t chew, couldn’t swallow and my eyelids were drooping badly and interfering with my vision. Had a feeding tube installed in my abdomen. After being released from the hospital and the rehab hospital, received further therapy at home. Regained chewing and swallowing functions, tube was remioved. Eat and drink whatever I want (no alcohol since last March. liver feels better!).My ptosis, drooping eyelids, has not improved. No problems with weakness in arms or legs, or difficulty breathing. My diagnosis is preliminary because none of the blood tests confirmed the presence of any MG related anti-bodies. My EMG tests were also negative. Am planning on getting a second opinion concerning my diagnosis and treatment at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. My current neurologist is quite supportive of my intention. He is a smart and personable doctor who I think is quite open and would welcome having another doctor or doctors looking at my situation and trying to figure out what is best for me.