Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Navigating School and Work › Working with MG diagnosed as a senior › Reply To: Working with MG diagnosed as a senior
-
Community Member
MemberNorm,
at 68 I am always analyzing the aging process in my symptoms.
however my first symptoms began about 10 years ago with ocular, progressing to swallowing and upper body fatigue, combined with shortness of breath , full on fatigue where I could barely stand up and had to go sleep.
we are certainly all different , and depending on what meds you may be on.
It is my ideal to see a couple specialists, belong to sites like this, and read and get as educated as you can in your disease.
ask yourself if after you sleep in the morning, are your other symptoms better? If you take a nap, are they temporarily relieved?
I find doctors can have varying opinions on disease. Do they only treat MG? I had a cancer in 2013/14 a rare one and I was misdiagnosed by a dr. With great credential at a university.
even after diagnosed, going down a learning curve like this one to find many “specialists “ in my cancer had very different opinions as to treatment and if in fact my cancer was ongoing or in remission.
that said, even with MG you will gain different opinions so you must do as we are doing here and learn as much as you can.
my swallowing was eliminated with 5 mg of prednisone.
my SOB relieved with IVIG.another thing I do is to compare myself against my friends nor my age to see how tired are they and what can they do?
I think the fatigue that comes with MG is so overwhelming it is not just “tired” where others cannot even relate. At least for me it is.
i hope that helps for you to identify if your symptoms are MG air aging.
my husband is 72, and maybe 2.0 times a week will “nap” but he keeps quite busy and a 2.0 minute nap is not uncommon for anyone this age. But if he can’t take a nap, no problem, when I need a nap, it is a problem, I must sleep.
based upon what you say, it sounds like MG symptoms. That overwhelming needing a sleep.
good luck.