Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Navigating School and Work › How Has Myasthenia Gravis Altered Your Career? › Reply To: How Has Myasthenia Gravis Altered Your Career?
-
Community Member
MemberLooking at the other responses, I guess I have been pretty lucky with my ocular MG. Diagnosed in 1974 at the age of 32, I was in a very competitive graduate school environment. Drooping eyelids and double vision seemed like an impediment at first but, after beginning treatment with Prednisone and learning to function while wearing an eye patch, graduate school fell into a near normal pattern. That feeling of near normalcy continued for the next 40 years as I pursued a career in museums and later a broader variety of non profits. I also taught in graduate school for ten years at the end of my “career” developing curricula along with the teaching. My good fortune was in having ocular MG only which allowed me to function easily on a daily basis.