Myasthenia Gravis News Community › Forums › Life Hacks and Tips › Ocular MG – Hacks, tricks, tape, etc? › Reply To: Ocular MG – Hacks, tricks, tape, etc?
-
Community Member
MemberNow, on to what I have done and now do.
One trick I was told was to do some rapid eye movements, in a circle. That is a short term “cure”.
Don’t stare at anything. It strains the eye and makes matters worse.
To reduce eye strain, and tilt, while working I have different glasses. I have one for computer or model building. I have another for reading. Both of theses are single purpose. They are set to eye tests at specific distances. I also have a third pair for normal uses, distance and near sections. These are what I use when leaving the house.
IVIG treatments were increased from every 4 weeks to 3 weeks. That has been the most help. That has allowed me to not need glasses during normal days in and out of the house, although I still need help reading.
If I am having tilt issues in the house I can solve that by closing the left eye to get me past the problem. I may have to use glasses for some additional help. The glasses do not help the tilt issue. What they do help with is reducing the eye strain, and thus allowing the left eye to straighten out easier. Closing my right eye will allow the left eye to function “normally” with the tilt gone. My left eye has better vision that my right eye.
I am now seeing a doctor about the droopy eyelids. I am trying to get both eyelids lifted . There typical answer is “Well, if we do that what happens if you go in to remission? There wouldn’t be enough skin to let your eyes close.” They have some medicine they thing may help and we will be trying that out next month.
I am 75 years old and can be crabby. If you don’t like the way you are being treated, or don’t like what they are telling you, get another doctor. Get treated by a neurologist with MG experience of more than a few patients. Get linked to a nuero -ophthalmologist for eye care follow up. Your optometrist should know one. If you have a training hospital in your state, see if they have someone in that field.
Be careful with the prescriptions you are taking. Check carefully for side effects, including the ones in the list that are listed with few problems. Every prescription I tried had some effects that the doctors didn’t know was a problem area. I do have some Mestinon for really bad days or driving on trips.
Sorry for he long discourse. I hope this helps someone. I realized several years ago that remission was probably not going to happen so I gave up trying all kinds of cures and decided to work around the problems. Best of luck to you on your future with MG.